Nov 22 | Youth Wellbeing Counsellor | Acacia Ridge
The YMCA operates a number of services including Child Care, health and fitness, education and training, outdoor education and camping, accommodation and hospitality along with benevolent activities including the YMCA Vocational School and the Schools' Breakfast program.
Y-Care is the social impact arm of the YMCA of Brisbane. We are a mission-driven organisation that is committed to creating measurable and long lasting beneficiary outcomes through our programs and activities.
YMCA Wellbeing Services is committed to the provision of best practice psychological and counselling intervention for individuals and families. We aim for all YMCA beneficiaries to experience long-term flourishing mental wellbeing and a reduction in mental illness symptoms consistent with our Wellbeing Outcomes Framework.
In this role, you will be a key member of the YMCA Social Impact Wellbeing team led by a Wellbeing Manager. A key emphasis of the Wellbeing Team will be the YMCA Vocational School. Within this area, the Team will provide psychological and counselling support to secondary school aged students who attend the Vocational School, as a consequence of disengaging or the risk of disengaging from mainstream education.
This position is located at the YMCA Vocational School's Acacia Ridge Campus. The position is permanent full-time, Monday - Friday, commencing Monday 15 January 2018.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a commitment to the YMCA's mission, vision and values and will be able to meet the following selection criteria:
- Tertiary qualifications in counselling and/or psychology and must be fully registered with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation
- Agency or membership of the Australian Counselling Association;
- Mission driven and personal values alignment with the YMCA;
- Demonstrated experience conducting brief counselling interventions, preferably with adolescents, treating mental health symptomology and challenging behaviours;
- Understanding of and commitment to monitoring, evaluation and learning, including the use of evidence-based measurement tools;
- Strong problem solving skills and initiative to both effectively improve the mental health of beneficiaries and achieve the organisation's mission;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain quality relationships with young people, parents/ caregivers, other staff and external stakeholders (e.g. community health professionals); and
- Well-developed written communication skills with the ability to provide high quality professional reports and case notes;
- Current driver's licence, Blue Card and first aid qualification or willingness to obtain.
- Demonstrated experience in administering, scoring and reporting psychological assessments is highly desirable
Please provide the following information to assess your suitability for the position:
- A current CV, including the names and contact details of three referees. Referees should have a thorough knowledge of your capabilities, work performance and conduct within the previous two years, and it is preferable to include your current/immediate/past supervisor; and
- A clear and succinct response (maximum 2 pages) on how your experience, abilities, knowledge and personal qualities are relevant for the role and our organisation;
- Responses should be consisted with the selection criteria. Please refer to the position description for more information.
Interested? Apply Now!
Please submit applications through SEEK. All questions relation to the position should be directed to Ben Simpson by emailing Ben.Simpson@ymcabrisbane.org or calling (07) 3440 4300.
Applications close 5th December 2017
Applicants must be approved to work in Australia and willing to apply for a Blue Card.
The YMCA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to safeguarding children and young people.